Saturday, November 2, 2013

Cauliflower, Methi & 1 Mystery ingredient Sabzi

What do you do when your refrigerator is not stocked and you need to put together a sabzi for lunch? You make do with what you have. And that's my story for this sabzi, my intention was to make a potato cauliflower sabzi. But I forgot to buy potatoes and did not realize I had none by which time the onions were already frying in the pan. With no recourse, I decided to make a sabzi with only cauliflower when I saw a piece of pumpkin on the kitchen counter. It was the left over piece after some went into the sambhar. So I quickly peeled a chunky and chopped it up fine and kept it covered in hiding from my husband. If he saw he would have asked me not to pull off any stunts with cooking! This is one downside in having a spouse who knows and likes cooking. So after the cauliflower was half cooked, in went the pumpkin and he was none the wiser and loved the sabzi. See, I am proved right, if he knew he would have decided to dislike it but now he liked it and still does not know what went in.
 
Ingredients
Cauliflower florets - 2 cups
Onion - 1
Pumpkin - 1/2 cup
Kasuri methi - 2 tbsp
Tomato - 1
Green chilli - 2
Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli pwd - 1 tsp
Turmeric pwd - 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
Chop the onions and tomato in medium pieces. Chop the pumpkin in small pieces.
Heat oil in a pad or kadai and add the onions and sauté till translucent then add in the cumin, coriander powder, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Then add the cauliflower florets and sauté. The masala mix should have coated the florets. Cover with a lid with some water in it and let it cook, checking in between so it does not catch the bottom. When the florets are half cooked, add the pumpkin pieces, tomato and salt and mix and again cover and let it cook. Add the kasuri methi in and mix well. Take the kadai off the heat and serve.

No comments: